Wake Up and Smell the Shit: Hilarious Travel Disasters, Monstrous Toilets, and a Demon Dildo, published by Travelers’ Tales (USA) and edited by Kirsten Koza: the best price for a new paperback is at the publisher’s bookshop, and it is always available as an ebook on Amazon, and on Kobo, and also at Barnes & Noble, Amazon Canada, ibooks, at fine independent bookstores, and in libraries.
You can read the first five chapters for free on Google Play.
We’ve all had unspeakable experiences while traveling that we’re ashamed to admit, but these often become our best stories in the retelling. The writers in this collection cast inhibition aside and reveal their weirdest and worst moments and how they made the best of them. And memorable moments in exotic destinations come in all shapes and sizes: insects as big as Pam Anderson’s left tit, regrettable sex, stink-eyed officials, horrible healers, Lady Gaga’s shoes and Madonna’s special meal, trigger-happy militants, and peeping Tom rock stars.
Adventure vicariously as:
- Spud Hilton (not Monty Python) finds the Holy Grail by accident in Spain.
- Meghan Ward squats, and then the toilet grunts back, in Goa.
- Kasha Rigby proved how tough she is on National Geographic’s Ultimate Survival Alaska, but is she a match for a 90-year-old bone breaker in Guatemala?
- Namibians stereotype Chinese men as Bruce Lee—Gerald Yeung wonders if attacking baboons will do the same.
- Keph Senett (hoping not to follow in the footsteps of Pussy Riot) braves bombs, police and a Soviet-era sofa bed to play soccer at the LGBT games in Putin’s Russia.
- Jabba-the-Turd versus Shannon Bradford in an epic showdown in Argentina.
And many more…
Check out contributor trip photos and join the fun on our Facebook page.
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Don’t Push the Button!
KIRSTEN KOZA (Editor)
Kyrgyzstan and Canada
You Go in the Morning, I Go at Night
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
If Pigs Could Fly
When the Empire Strikes Back
England and France
Costa Rican Red and a Golden Shower
Nosara, Costa Rica
A Real Good Deal
The Battle of Waterkloof
Cold London Summer
Going Feral in Filoha
VANESSA VAN DOREN
Because It Was a Sunday
Foz do Iguaçu, Brazil
The Chocolate Egg Bomber
Japan to Vietnam
The Córdoban Crap
My Night in a Shipping Container
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
A Bad Day
The Holy Grail
The Spittle Express
“’Allo! ’allo, ’allo, ’ahhhhhllo!”
A Bed of Fists
The Big Forehead of Newfoundland
A Real Piece of Americana
The Bone Breaker
A Tale of Two Toilets
Ambalangoda, Sri Lanka
Spanking It in the South Pacific
Yaqeta Island, Fiji
Biannual Belgian Blowout
What I Did in the Doll House
Love in a Black Jeep Wrangler
Africa à la Carte
Postcard from Kenya
I Had a Passion for the Christ
Non-Fiction, Travel, Humor Anthology